Blender Tracking: 250 frame limit

Back to 
Blender Tracking 250 Frame Limit

Blender Tracking: 250 frame limit

Created by bugman
1 Year Ago
August 1, 2018 @ 17:56 am

Greetings fellow Surfaced Studioians!

I've got a 950 frame clip of me walking down the street, which I plan on adding some animated characters onto. I've gone through the Blender tracking process and gotten a mediocre solve error of 0.9, good enough for a rough test. However, when I scrub through the frames on the 3D View, my camera stops moving at frame 251. The footage continues, but the tracked camera is frozen, like it is configured to stop at frame 250.

I feel like I've looked in every section for a setting that's going to say, "frames 1 - 250" but I'm at a loss as to where it might be. FYI - Blender user (read noob) for only a few months. Anyone run into this or know where I should look?

Screenshot

Thanks for your time!
Rick

bugman
1 Year Ago
August 4, 2018 @ 20:35 am

Looks like I get to answer my own silly question. Since it's a longer clip, the 3 trackers I picked as the floor had quit at frame 250, hence my floor plane is done as well.

Tracking in general has been my biggest issue in my early VFX experiments. I've used Blender's tracker, Hitfilm's internal tracker and Mocha Hitfilm, all with a few successes but more time spent without a fruitful ending than I'd like to admit. I've downloaded the demo version of Syntheyes and am pretty impressed with the results so far and the cost is the only tracking software that's remotely in my budget; $500 USD for Pro, $300 USD for Intro.

Has anyone used Syntheyes recently or have tips for how to track longer clips? I've watched sooo many tutorials and practiced what they've shown but it appears I won't be getting a matchmoving career going anytime soon

Thanks,
Rick

havardhv
1 Year Ago
August 6, 2018 @ 16:34 am

Blender should be able to track for longer than 250 frames as far as I know. So if the only issue you've got is the tracking duration problem, I wouldn't have spent the money on a new tracker. I am not sure why it won't track any longer than 250 frames. It might be a hidden setting, or simply a bug. The only solution I am able to come up with is to re-install Blender.

bugman
1 Year Ago
August 7, 2018 @ 3:15 pm

Hi havardhv!

Thanks for the reply! I apologize for not being completely clear about what happened. Blender didin fact track and solve the whole 950 frame clip, but it did so without the same "floor" tracking points throughout the whole scene. I'm walking down the street and panning around so I understand why it couldn't keep the same points on a longer clip like this.

My initial issue was not understanding why the generated floor was not working past frame 250 as it seemed like there must be a setting that I had incorrectly configured, but it turns out, frame 250 was where I did a pan to the right and the original floor trackers were no longer active. I think what I'll have to do in the future is be very mindful while recording to pan slowly and also maybe try to cut the scene into multiple shots and multiple solves then stitch them together in Hitfilm.

I haven't purchased Syntheyes, but just downloaded the free demo version. It seems to track the whole scene a lot easier than any other tracker I've got in my arsenal, but then I'd have to deal with exporting and importing the camera data into Hitfilm and/or Blender. Fun stuff!

havardhv
1 Year Ago
August 9, 2018 @ 15:15 am

Oh, I see, interesting problem :-) As I'm not very experienced with Blender's camera tracker I don't really know the solution to this. I do however believe that there is an addon to import tracking-data from After Effects to Blender. That might deal with it better (but it sounds to me like you use Hit Film).

Anyways, good luck!

To join the conversation please register and log in - it's free
Back to 
Blender Tracking 250 Frame Limit

STAY CONNECTED

Get in touch via social media

ABOUT TOBIAS

Tobias Avatar
I am passionate about providing high quality VFX & Film Making Edutainment online. Check out my training courses on Udemy
© 2019 Surfaced Studio